A few months ago I was on a break with a #FutureMidwife – we were eating a meal at work . The staff room door flew open and a midwife in charge said “I need an observations machine in room 2 right now” the future midwife was up & out of the room before I had chance to think – err she is a lot younger than me : )
When she returned I said “did you go into automatic pilot ?” She agreed that she had so here’s what we discussed .
1.When someone asks you for help ask why -is it an emergency?
2. Allow the process time to reach your brain
3. If sitting stand up slowly to prepare yourself – if standing think before you start to walk
4. Respect yourself and your mindfulness as much as the other person – you are equals
5. Consider your age / fitness / mental well being and why you feel the need to dash
6. Slow down – put yourself first – if you are young you have a long time to be working – probably into your 60s – each stressful situation shortens your life slightly
7. If it’s an emergency it’s ok to go into autopilot but realise that you are a valuable so your focus and calm will lead others to be the same .
Last week I almost bumped into a newly qualified midwife who was ruining out of a room . I said stop ! Are you ok what’s wrong ? “I have to tell shift leader how many cm’s dilated the woman I am with is ” I said “but that’s no emergency – you are 22 you have probably another 44 years to work . So if you continually dash you will eventually burn out . Leaving a room calmly will impact on yourself and the woman you are with – be mindful of yourself”
The midwife agreed with me and I said don’t promise me – promise yourself to think first then walk – dash only in an emergency situation and running ? Should we be running ? Consider your own safety first .
Here’s some points for you all to consider
Do you dash here & there not stopping to think ?
Consider your mind and body – slow down a little – be calm – take your time . There are plenty of opportunities to speed up in emergency situations . Don’t put yourself under unnecessary stress if you don’t need to – there is an implication on your health .
Try this for one day then one week and see how you feel – share your feelings with others , spread the word.
Here’s my poem
When we dash out of a room -we leave no time to think
So thoughts are given less worth than deeds and this might make us sink
Walk slowly as you think to yourself and slow your pace right down
Be mindful of your own well being and you’ll never wear a frown x ❤️
Thankyou for reading